There Are Worse Things


I’ve always said, “There are worse things than death.” I now realize that was a rather arrogant thing to say, me the picture of health and with neither death nor illness looming before me...certainly not that I knew of. But perhaps I was actually onto something, because I learned just today of the suicide death of a young woman of my acquaintance diagnosed with ALS, Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), sometimes called Lou Gehrig's disease. It is a rapidly progressive, invariably fatal neurological disease that attacks the nerve cells (neurons) responsible for controlling voluntary muscles.

Rosemary was the daughter-in-law of a woman who had once been a close friend, but who I rarely see now because we both retired and went our own way. I learned that Rosemary had just been diagnosed with ALS when I had lunch with my friend on her birthday last July, almost a year ago. Not knowing all the details, I have to assume that the ALS had progressed rather rapidly and that she chose to end her own life rather than wait until she could no longer commit the act of suicide without help.

Eventually people with ALS will not be able to stand or walk, get in or out of bed on their own, or use their hands and arms. In later stages of the disease, individuals have difficulty breathing as the muscles of the respiratory system weaken. Although ventilation support can ease problems with breathing and prolong survival, it does not affect the progression of ALS. Most people with ALS die from respiratory failure, usually within 3 to 5 years from the onset of symptoms.

The news of Rosemary’s suicide stunned me. The fact that this young woman was in such desperate condition that she went to a park and shot herself in the heart is almost beyond my understanding of despair. I realize I was not wrong and that there are indeed things worse than death, which is what I face, but which is something we all face. The only difference in me and anyone else in the world is that I know what I will die of and approximately when, give or take a year or two. I can look at my pending death, whenever that is, with either fright and despair, or as the next part of my journey through this life, and enjoy all that I can here on earth while I still can. Rosemary did not have that choice. Bless her and all those who live with a similar fate.

I’m doing quite well today, especially after a recent visit with my brother and sister-in-law, Rick and DeAnne. I have much to be grateful for and I’m going to enjoy every minute that’s given to me. Every precious day is a bonus.

3 comments:

mai said...

i do agree, every precious day is truly a blessing.

sad to hear about your friend.

blog hoppin' here
Thursday, June 28, 2007

Brooks said...

Thanks for your comment, Mai. Next time your hopping, pop in again.
Thursday, June 28, 2007

Princess of CJ said...

nice to know brooks that you're doing alright! :)

keep it up!
Thursday, June 28, 2007

Comments

Popular Posts