Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez

Sadly, I feel like I don’t have enough memories of Brooks, as I only had the pleasure of knowing her in the last months of her life. I feel fortunate to have had that pleasure at all though, and I have a number of great (and hilarious) memories of her visit with Reese and Lynn to New Orleans last year.

Krisna had told me a good deal about his mom before she came to visit us – about how close they were, experiences they shared, trials and tribulations they went through and how, no matter what, she had always, always been there for him. So I knew even before meeting her that this was an amazing woman. I was still nervous as hell to meet her but upon arriving in N.O., her friendly personality and pleasant demeanor quickly dispelled those butterflies in my stomach.

A few things stand out in my mind from her visit. She took pictures of everything. I mean absolutely everything, including some drunk dude who passed out on Bourbon St. and pissed himself in his sleep. She fit into the city like a native. She got herself some beautiful, colorful masks and beads on our first trip to the French Quarter and loved the jazz music playing on almost every corner. She was almost constantly smiling and laughing, even while Krisna and I pushed her wheelchair down the French Quarter’s bumpy, pothole filled streets and nearly tipped the chair over trying to get it over the larger bumps (oops!).

Then there was a conversation in the car one evening, with Reese, Lynn, Brooks, Krisna and myself. I’ll spare folks the gritty details of it, but for some reason Krisna and I told a story about the sexual escapades of a particular author we like, and some of the, um, shall we say unconventional activities he liked to partake in in the bedroom. To my surprise and endless entertainment, Brooks applauded his activities and began to talk about her own preferences in the fine art of lovemaking. While Krisna, Reese and I got that slightly weirded out (but still laughing at it) feeling young people get when they hear their parents talk about sex, Brooks spoke like it was the most natural conversation in the world.

This may seem like a silly story to reminisce about. But as all that was happening, in those brief few days of her visit, I noticed these things and was absolutely amazed at meeting this extraordinary woman who, no matter what context, no matter who was around, was completely and utterly comfortable with being herself. That can be a rare find these days. She had no qualms with speaking her mind, expressing what she felt, and sharing a piece of herself with whoever was around. For having the chance to have spent time with her, to know her, and to have had the opportunity to keep with me a few of those “pieces” of who she is, I am forever thankful.

Happy Birthday Brooks. New Orleans ain’t quite the same without you.

xoxo, Lauren

Comments

Rick said…
What wonderful memories. Thanks, Lauren. I so wish I could have been there during that trip. It was so great sharing something new with Brooks, especially an exciting, colorful place like New Orleans. However much I might have enjoyed something, Brooks always managed to show me more that I had missed or hadn't seen in all the ways possible. She experienced things with a complete pleasure that is usually seen only in little children, even while being completely aware that there were shadows and dirt and even horror beneath the glitter. She simply chose the better side of life and people to concentrate on. That's one of the more important lessons I've learned from her. Or tried to. Thanks again, love, for the memories and the reminder.
That is so great! You have such a way with words. You might not have known her long, but she loved you like you were her own. She talked about that trip often. She had a great time..love ya!
Jon R. said…
Lauren, thanks for reminding me of something I had in mind to say in my post, but forgot to, namely that Brooks was one of the very few non-prudish persons I've known. (You'd be surprised, or maybe not, at how many gay men are very prudish.)

As I am anything but prudish, and constantly having to watch my step in that regard to avoid scandalizing folks, it was a joy to know I was friends with somebody who would get a kick out of bawdy remarks.

Popular Posts