from Steve

I have a lot of wonderful memories of Brooks, but I guess I should explain who I am first. I was Brooks’ son in law. And although I stopped being her son in law sometime in the late 80’s, we would be friends for a lot longer. I didn’t have the typical mother in law relationship with Brooks; I could see early on that she was a very special person. She loved me and cared for me despite what was happening with her daughter and I. And that was far from your typical husband and wife relationship, trust me. Even after all we’d been through, she still loved me and I loved her. I owe a lot to Brooks. And as I sit here thinking back, I don’t think I ever really told her thank you for what she had done. Because what she had done, was raised my son and did an excellent job of it. I see her caring and deep respect for people, in him all the time. He is not your typical son either and I thank her for that. I know this is a little late, but thank you Brooks, for what kind of person Cameron has turn out to be. He is a good man, one that I am very proud of.

I guess my fondest memory of Brooks would be Christmas 1979, in the two story house on Cherry, in a little town in Oklahoma. That was a very special Christmas for me, because I was gaining a family and had never celebrated Christ’s birthday quite like Wilson’s did. Brooks had an amazing way of making her home feel very welcome to all who came in and a very special way of celebrating Christmas. With all respect to my wonderful Christian parents, I can honestly say that I had never enjoyed a Christmas like that one in 79 and have never since. The atmosphere and preparation for Christmas eve was unmatched. Brooks knew how to do it. She was an excellent cook and so had a delightful array of pastries served in a fashion that I had never experienced. And Christmas morning; the way we opened each present one at a time and gave that person all the attention for that moment was unforgettable. And of course Brooks’ laugh, it would bring a smile to anyone that heard it. Brooks loved the holidays, it was apparent in the way she made you feel. And as Christmas rolls around every year, I find myself thinking back to that wonderful time we had together, Christmas 1979.

God bless you all

Steve W. Byers

Comments

Popular Posts