Eddy Arnold and a little queen

The other day I read that Eddy Arnold died.

For those who don't know him, Eddy Arnold was one of the few country singers I loved to listen to, and he was one of Brooks' idols. He bridged the gap between country (in those days mostly simplistic and twangy) and pop. His smooth voice and heartfelt presentation have been compared to Perry Como.

The reason I mention him is that it reminded me of a story Brooks told me about when she was just a little girl. I don't know if I was even born at the time, so Brooks would have been 5 or so. Mom and dad took her to a rodeo or something like that -- I never did get the details completely -- and as they were leaving they crossed paths with Eddy Arnold!

Brooks stopped dead, thunderstruck that she was in the presence of her idol. He smiled down at this adoring little girl, then knelt down and took a few minutes to actually talk to her. She said those few minutes he took to talk to her made her feel like a queen, and she never forgot that wonderful experience.

The last time I saw her I asked her to tell me that story again, since I loved it so and knew it was something she loved thinking back on. I thought at the time that the way she felt then, when her idol stopped to talk to her, that must be the way heaven makes you feel all the time.

I know in my heart that my sister is with my dad these days and that both of them feel that same wonder and joy, and I'm glad Brooks had that story to tell me so I understand a bit more what heaven must be like.

Thank you, sister, for sharing that story with me.

And thank you, Eddy Arnold, for not being so important that you couldn't take the time to make a little girl feel like a queen.

Happy Birthday, Sister!

Comments

That is a beautiful story. She always had a way with words and you share that gift. I am so glad you have so many beautiful memories and are willing to share them with us...
Rick said…
Thank you, Bobbi. We've all got wonderful stories about Brooks, and I suspect she's going to help us all get the words right. She always had just the tiniest streak of vanity!

Popular Posts