from Rick

Hi.

I'm Rick Best, Brooks' "little" brother. Her son, Kris, is busy getting her blog rebuilt and before long we'll have her thoughts back where we can enjoy them again and take comfort from them and enjoy our memories of her.

In the meantime, we are going to continue what Kris started; if Brooks is no longer here to share herself with us, then we will simply share our memories of her with each other. This first entry of mine will be about the ceremony where we said our final goodbyes. For those of you who could be there this entry will hopefully be a nice rememberance, and for those who couldn't be there, well, now you can be.

This is a picture of most of those who were able to attend. Everyone in this picture is part of Brooks' family, and we all felt that then and feel it now. What greater gift could my sister have given me than all these new sisters and brothers and aunts and uncles and cousins and... Well, you get the idea, I guess.

This is the setting for Brooks' remembrance. As you can see, Kris and Lauren, Reese and Bobbi did a wonderful job arranging things. Of course, they had a lot of help... from Brooks! Yes, she had done a tremendous amount of planning and getting things ready beforehand. The poster behind the urn is the same as the picture at the top of this entry, it's a montage of some really wonderful pictures of Brooks. She made the montage herself and then sent it out to have the poster printed.

There were some beautiful flower arrangements which were just enough to make a nice setting, but nothing overly gaudy. Brooks would not have stood for that! Possibly because she preferred being the gaudy one at any party.



Brooks chose and ordered her own urn and made a wonderful choice. Surprisingly, not so gaudy at all! Of course, there are her mardi gras masks to add that particular fashionable touch.

I'll close this entry for now. Next time I'll add some pictures of Brooks that were spread around the table for all to see, from when she was a little girl, a young woman, and in her later years when most of you knew her best.

Other people have expressed an interest in adding their own thoughts and memories of Brooks here, and you are welcome to do that. because of the recent bit of nastiness, though, Kris is being careful of access, so anything you'd care to share can be sent to him and he will be glad to post it for you.

Here is what I wrote the night I heard my sister had died...


MY BIG SISTER
Damn it, sister!
Where'd you go?
I just found some neat stuff I wanted to share with you.
Now I'll have to save it until I see you again.
Did you have to leave so quickly, though?
No time for one last hug, one last laugh?
I turned away for just a moment.
In that short space between an exhale and an inhale you slipped away.
I know you've been talking to daddy.
I heard you laugh.
Was he telling you secrets it's not my time to hear?
Was he telling you how much you're loved?
Did he reach out and take your hand?
Did he help you across that last, fearful step?
Did he sweep you into his arms and sit you on his lap?
Is that whyyou laughed like the little girl you were all those years ago?
Tell daddy that I'm still saving things I want to share with him, too.


This is what my son Austin had to say to his Aunt Brooks:


Now I'll just add the eulogy I read for my sister.





Comments

TJ said…
What a huge heart you have...to be able to share the words and thoughts with us...and I for one, hear the laughter...even while the tears slide down my cheeks. "In a little while" is an old song by Amy Grant...but just to think, in a little while we will have a huge picnic, and she will be a guest of honor....hugs. TJ
Rick said…
She'll probably be the host, and tease us for taking so long to show up! Thank you for reminding us that Brooks may be gone, but she's really only waiting.
Anonymous said…
How beautiful! I knew Brooks several years ago when she lived in Oklahoma and I really wish that I could have been there. I found her obituary over the internet...it didn't mention her mother. Did she pass away? I met her a couple of times at a group I attended and she was a great lady too! Does anyone know about her? Best Regards, Ana
Rick said…
Hi, Ana. Thank you for your wonderful words and kind thoughts. While Brooks' lovingness and charm was real and deep, unfortunately our mother's was very shallow and mostly just on the surface. She was very toxic if you had to be around her for any length of time. Brooks and I, after lifetimes of dealing with it, finally had to part ways with her for our own health and sanity. I have no more than a vague idea now where she is. I'm sorry to have to share that and I encourage you to keep the memories you have of her. I do appreciate your asking after her.
Anonymous said…
Hi Rick,

Thank you for your response. I hope I didn't bring up a sensitive subject during an already sad time.

I do understand. Both of my parents have been gone for awhile now, but I had a difficult relationship with my mother when she was alive too. I tried until the day she died to bridge the gap between us, but it was wasted time. I probably would have been better off just letting it go years earlier.

On a lighter note, I loved your eulogy and it would be great if in the future, you could share some stories about Brooks' childhood, etc. I would love to know more about her background. You're a good brother! Ana

Popular Posts