NEW SEARCH ENGINES

A librarian where I work guided me to two new search engines that I'd like to share. They are different from Yahoo and Google because they cluster a search together instead of merely giving you new links to try out. You'll have to try them for yourself and see if they're helpful. In my first look at Lupus, clusty.com gave me an entirely new term..."shrinking lung syndrome"...that in all my searches elsewhere I'd never seen.

http://www.answers.com and http://www.clusty.com

I also want to share a photo Rick sent that just blew me away. Before arriving in Iraq, he had to go through Kuwait and this is just one thing he saw. Is this what they call the "new world order", or is it what's referred to as the "global marketplace"? It just seems to me that the U.S., with all its concentrated efforts on money and big business, has encroached on small, unsuspecting countries in all corners of the world and some how it makes me uncomfortable. My son, Kris, says the good thing about it is that it builds a closer global community and diminishes some of our differences. Like tonight when you're eating KFC's original recipe, someone in Kuwait is also having KFC's chicken. I guess that's a valid point and I'm all for diversity.

Speaking of diversity, I saw 3 of the Lost Boys of Sudan today at the law school. The woman who made the award winning documentary was in town and was showing the film on campus. We have a few Sudanese people in KC...a small handfull of the lost boys. You might want to check their website at http://lostboysofsudan.com/ If you aren't familiar with the Lost Boys, here is a quote from their website:

"In 1987, a civil war drove an estimated twenty thousand young boys from their families and villages in Southern Sudan. Most no more than six or seven years old, they fled to Ethiopia to escape death or induction into slavery and the northern army. They walked a thousand miles through lion and crocodile country, eating mud to stave off thirst and starvation. Wandering for years, half of them died before reaching the Kenyan refugee camp, Kakuma. The survivors of this tragic exodus became known to the world as the 'Lost Boys of Sudan.'"

Only 4,000 of the Lost Boys were able to come to the U.S. and they had to scatter them throughout the U.S., to wherever they could be housed and sponsored. Three or four of them came to KC and are in the university now. It's a very sad tale of courage and overcoming.

Comments

Popular Posts