Another Saturday Night

I spent some time today on a little art project. People in the altered arts world have what they call swaps...they have ATC swaps (Artist Trading Cards) on which they create a small piece of art for trading with other artists only. Then they have tag swaps, and tip-in swaps (those are just pages that are affixed to an altered book). You do so many, you get so many back in return. I simply haven't had time for swaps before now, but Marilyn Monroe intrigued me because she is an old favorite of mine and is from my generation. I'm not terribly happy with what I produced, but I had a really difficult time churning these out. I wanted to get in on what is called a "Fat Book"...just a little overstuffed fat book that's usually spiral bound together, containing your own and others' pages. But...get this...the project has 51 participants, which means the artist has to produce 51 pages, plus one for the hostess. Unless I have 3 months to work on something like that I doubt I'll ever get into something that labor intensive. That would be like working in a pressure cooker for me.

My friend Tom is 44 today. Jackie and I took him to lunch yesterday. Mine's coming up next...in fact, a month from today...and we'll go out again. Then Jackie's b'day comes up toward the end of July. I love both of them very much. They are such good friends.

My youngest son (24) is moving in with his girlfriend. He was laid off work and it is suddenly an economic necessity to have a roommate. I could talk at length about all this because I have very intense feelings about the subjects of poverty, family responsibility and the way many of us detach ourselves from the needs of others, the selfish nature of this capitalistic society, and the fact that there is even this kind of poverty in the richest of all nations. Suffice it to say, I am heartsick that he (and his girlfriend too) have been forced into this situation before they are ready. If I had it in my power financially...but I don't, so I won't waste my time bemoaning that fact. But this situation has disturbed my peace these last few days.

I'll try to finish my Marilyn project tomorrow and get it off in the mail.

Comments

Popular Posts