"And Still I Rise"

This is a line from a poem by one of my strong women heroines, Maya Angelou. The picture of the old woman carrying a heavy burden on her head is not unlike any of us...black or white...particularly those of the working class. I think I want to do an entire series of paintings which depict the women in my life that I have admired...women as diverse as Mother Theresa, Marilyn Monroe, Peace Pilgrim, and Maya Angelou. And not just famous or celebrated women, but depictions of our mothers and sisters, daughters and grandmothers. I don't mean to exclude men as objects of admiration, for I admire and respect many men. But there is a bond and sisterhood among women that I feel the need to honor.

1 comments:

altjoujou said...

This is a beautiful work! I also like your Reverie a lot. Thanks for your visit and comment on my blog.
:-)
Friday, March 25, 2005

Comments

Popular Posts